Monday, May 3, 2010

Athletic Challenges- Rough Draft #2

"Come on, Cassie. You really should try it. I think you would love it," said my best friend Marley.
"Yeah, Cassie. You really would. And we really want you to be on the team with us. Please," pleaded my other best friend Hannah.

Marley and Hannah had been trying for a couple of weeks to get me to play lacrosse with them. I gave them every excuse I could think of not to play, but they were still pushing me to do it.

"Guys, I just don't know if I would like it," I said, trying so hard for them to let me off the hook. "What if I'm not good at it?"
"You will be good at it, though. We are going to work with you all summer and you'll be so good next season. Don't worry."
"Okay, fine."

I couldn't believe I had finally given in, but it was too late to turn back. They were already talking about when to practice and how they were going to teach me.

Marley and Hannah stuck to their word and worked with me all summer. They taught me all the basics I would need to play lacrosse. By the end of the summer, I thought I was doing well with it. I was really excited and couldn't wait to play on the team that year. School started up again and we were in seventh grade. Everything was going fine that year, but then, lacrosse season came.

"Marley, I really don't think I can do this," I told her on the first day of workouts. "Everyone will probably laugh at me because I'm not good. I just don't know anymore."
"Cassie, listen to me. You have worked so hard this summer and you have gotten really good. There are some eighth graders that are going to play this year that have never even picked up a stick in their life. Trust me, you know much more and are much better than them. You will be fine and Hannah and I will be out there with you. There's nothing to worry about.

I listened to her and went out there. She was right, too. Most of the eighth graders had no idea about anything and even had to start by learning how to cradle on the wall. I was satisfied with how I was doing since I could already cradle and pass and catch. I started to gain back the confidence I had during the summer.

But then, our first game came.

We played Williston which wasn't really much of a threat to us. I didn't start that game since the coaches had only seen me play in practice. I didn't mind it much; besides, I was still a bit fuzzy on the rules. Also, the only seventh graders that started were Hannah and Marley because they played on the team the year before.

"Cassie!" called Coach Verna. "Ready to go in?"

I just nodded my head and walked over to her. My hands shook and my heart pounded. I could feel the butterflies in my stomach. I most certainly was not ready to go in, but she had already called the other player over for me to go and it was done. I ran onto the field and into my place, still shaking. I heard Hannah and Marley call my name and I looked up to see them both smiling and giving me a thumbs. I could not remember anything I was supposed to do as nervousness and fear took over. I tried to concentrate on the ball and the things I had learned over the summer. I was trying so hard not to mess up and yet, every time the ball came to me I dropped it and lost it.

Finally, I said to myself, "Cassie, you can do it."

A ball came flying towards me and I caught it perfectly. I wasn't sure what I should do it with it so I just started running. I ran all the way up the field, weaving through all the defenders. I came to the goal and shot it. I missed just by a little bit, but that didn't matter so much because I had actually done something right. Everyone was cheering for me. I had all my confidence back and the next time the ball came to me I did the same thing and actually made it that time.

"Cassie, you did so good! I told you you could do it!" exclaimed Marley.
"I'm so proud of you!" chimed in Hannah.

The coaches thought I did well, too, since I started the second half and the rest of the games that season and the next. Now, I have plenty of confidence when I play.

1 comment:

  1. this is great. description is incredible, dialouge is realistic. You have a awesome paper, and then you wreck it with the ending. "Now, I have plenty of confidence when I play." It is way too trite for the work you did before. I know endings are hard to pull off, but I also know you are better than that

    ReplyDelete