Thursday, April 15, 2010

Final Real Courage Essay

"Maria, you're so fat and ugly!"
"No, I'm not," Maria replied unconvincingly while looking at her hands in her lap.
"Yes, you are! And you're useless, too! Just go away no one wants you here!"

I couldn't believe what had come out of my brother's mouth. Before now, I had just heard through the grape vine the things that were said to Maria and now actually hearing it made me furious. I had told my brother several times to stop making fun of her and he had not listened to me. The worst part of it was that they all thought it was funny. I tried not to explode yet, so I said, "I'm going to get something to drink," and walked away.

When I came back, Maria was crying. In the time it had taken me to get my drink, they had made Maria cry. I walked over to her and said, "What's the matter, Maria?" She just shook her head.

"Maria, come with me," I said.
"No. I'm fi--ne," she replied between sobs.
"Maria, you're not fine. Come with me."

Walking away, I could hear the laughter explode again from our table. I took Maria's hand and lead her to the bathroom. I sat her down on the counter and began to dry her eyes with a paper towel.

"Maria, tell me what's wrong."
"Th--ey were ma—ki--ng fun of m--e," she sobbed.
"What?!" I shouted. "What were they saying?!"
"Th--at I'm fa--t and ug--ly and no one li--kes me and to just g--o a--way."
"Why would they say that? Maria, don't listen to anything they say. They are just stupid and immature. And do you know what? I love you. So that's all that matters."

At that, her eyes lit up and I could see the beginning of a smile.

"Do you really?" she asked.
"Yes, of course I do! Don't be silly! Now I'm going to yell at all of them," I told her even though I was halfway out the door.

I heard the door shut behind me, but a moment too late and I turned to find Maria following me.

"WHO WAS MAKING FUN OF MARIA!" I shouted.

All the fingers pointed towards Connor. Of course, I should have known it would be my brother. Some fingers drifted towards Lucas, too, which made perfect sense since they are best friends and partners in crime. I debated about whom to yell at first and decided on Connor since he is my brother.

"Connor! You stupid idiot! Why would you say those things to Maria?! She is not stupid or fat or ugly or useless and for your information I love her! Don't you ever, EVER say those things to her again. Don't you say those things to anyone! And Lucas... why do you always follow suit?! Do things for yourself and not what Connor does! I know Maria is difficult sometimes, but that's no reason to make fun of her!"

I didn't even give them a chance to try to answer before I turned on my heels and stormed away with Maria right behind me.

I wish I could say that no one makes fun of Maria anymore, but that's not the case. I still hear that Maria gets picked on a lot, but no one does it in front of me. Maria knows she has a friend now and that she can always come to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment