Sunday, April 11, 2010

First TKAM Reading Response

Everyone has an addiction of some sort, whether they are good or bad. People have addictions for a number of reasons. Some to feel good, some to escape, and some to just have something to do. Mrs. Dubose’s addiction started because she had to take morphine for her illness, but it soon developed into a need. She needed it to escape the pain of this world and to just feel normal for a short period of time.

Mrs. Dubose wanted to break her addiction because she wanted so badly to die without it. She wanted to die without having to depend on something. By doing this, she proved herself to be a strong and courageous person; although, she was not proving it to anyone but herself. She was not seeking to please anyone, but instead to feel a little bit better about herself before she died.

I have many addictions. One of my big addictions is makeup. It’s not cheek makeup or lip makeup or even eye makeup. I’m addiction to cover up. Since about fifth grade I have had the worst acne. I’ve been on a number of different medications for it; so many I can’t even remember them all. I have tried and tried to get rid of my skin problem. In seventh grade, I begged my mom to get me some cover up to try and eventually she gave in. At first, I didn’t use too much of it, but I started to like the way I looked so I used even more. I would add more and more each time I applied to create a better image of my face. It made me look better, or so I thought. My mom and brother started to tell me not to use so much and that I looked better without it, but I didn’t give in.

I still use cover up now, even when my face is not breaking out. It’s become so much of an addiction that I just can’t stop. I want to get rid of this addiction, but I know that as long as I have acne and acne scars I won’t. I want to have pretty skin that’s not covered in makeup. I want to prove to myself that looks are not everything and that I can live without looking perfect.

Even though Mrs. Dubose and my addictions may seem very different, they are alike at the same time. Both addictions are used to feel better about ourselves and both addictions are wanted to be broken to prove to ourselves that we are better then that.

No comments:

Post a Comment