Friday, March 5, 2010

College Essay Question #2

You are a novelist and have just begun to write your next book. Please complete the first paragraph or page.


Fall 1972

As I turned the corner, I saw the person who saved my life ten years ago. It's been so long since I've seen him and he looks very different, but I still recognize him. He looks a bit older now; a little more harden from when I knew him. And I'm older, too. More sophisticated, perhaps, to wonder how I'd ever fallen in love with him.

He was an odd man, very reserved. He liked to be alone with his thoughts, but enjoyed my company. My personality was very different from his. When he liked to be alone, I liked to go out and be with other people. While he preferred to think to himself, I liked to say what I was thinking aloud. Even with these differences we loved each other deeply, and for this reason, he saved me.

(This is only a part of a chapter. If I were to continue this book I would add more.)

Summer 1961

I saw him from across the beach, and he smiled at me. I had never met him before, but I could tell he knew me. He was there alone, and thinking he looked lonely I walked over to him. He introduced himself as John and then said, “I know who you are. You work for my cousin. Your name is Sarah, right?”

I nodded my head yes. I immediately thought that this was an odd greeting. I could tell he was a very intuitive man. Still, it scared me and I excused myself and began to walk away. Before I left though, he called to me and I turned.

“Sarah, will you please to go dinner with me tomorrow night?” He said.
“I suppose so,” I replied. Already, I had fallen for his charm.

(This is only a part of a chapter. If I were to continue this book I would add more.)

Fall 1972

John saved me, but not literally, as many people probably think. John saved me by showing me the right way to be. He taught me how to love deeply, how to go for what I want, how to be who I am, and many other things. He also taught me to be strong when someone you love and care for walks out on you. I used that skill when he left me 10 years ago. John showed me an amazing way to live my life and for that I am forever grateful. For he has saved me in a way many people would never think of.

(This is only a part of a chapter. If I were to continue this book I would add more.)

No comments:

Post a Comment